Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Month of MAY and two things that mean alot to me






PLEASE HELP RAISE AWARENESS

I have recently learned that May is both National photography month and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) Awareness month. Both of these things mean a lot to me Photography is the one thing that I love to do and well is my addiction.  EDS is on the other end of the totem pole it’s not something that I like at all but both me and my 8 year old daughter are stuck will this Illness and I am always trying to raise awareness.
 I love that photography captures just one moment in time. With the growth of video and its intrusion into our daily lives in the form of TV, movies, YouTube, and even smart phone videos, the notion that you can watch a video of a sporting event for instance, but miss the incredible look of determination on an athlete’s face means we still need a way of capturing a SINGLE moment. That’s what photography does that videography does not. 
I have a REALLY bad memory.  To the point where stuff just disappears; Whole events, years, decades, people just gone.  I think it’s something to do with EDS But when I have pictures things solidify in my brain and I retain some memories, flickering alone in the emptiness of my past. Each slice of our lives is available for memory protection thanks to photography. That’s pretty amazing.
Most important of all it Makes me happy.  When I’ve nailed it I get this lovely glowing feeling of satisfaction.  Even when it’s an accident.  When other people say they like something I’ve done, that’s pretty cool, too. 

WHAT IS EHLERS DANLOS SYNDROME


Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (EDS) (also known as Cutis hyperelastica[1]) is a group of inherited connective tissue disorders, caused by a defect in the synthesis of collagen (Type I or III). The collagen in connective tissue helps tissues resist deformation. Collagen is an important contributor to the physical strength of skin, joints, muscles, ligaments, blood vessels and visceral organs; abnormal collagen renders these structures more elastic. Depending on the individual, the severity of the mutation can vary from mild to life-threatening. There is no cure, and treatment is supportive, including close monitoring of the digestive, excretory and particularly the cardiovascular systems. Occupational and physical therapy, bracing, and corrective surgery may help with the frequent injuries and pain that tend to develop in certain types of EDS, although extra caution and special practices are advised to prevent permanent damage.   ******http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers%E2%80%93Danlos_syndrome#Other_types*******
    Ehlers Danlos syndrome affects people in many different ways and on many different levels. Some DO have it worse than others would I say i have it worse than others some yes and some defiantly not some people don't have any pain and live a normal life but the majority of us have Chronic pain.
 The most  life threatening type of EDS is type 4 the vascular type and the most painful type is type 3 the Hypermobility type. There Are many types of EDS at least 10.
How does it affect my daughter and I?
Both my daughter and I have the hypermobility type it hasn't effected my daughter that bad as of yet she has dislocations of her fingers and knees without any warning or trauma causing the dislocation  She bruises very easily and her immune system is somewhat weak she is susceptible to ear infections, infections from ingrown nails (that cause her fingernails to raise up and fall off) also, when she was around 1up until she was around 5or6) she had to wear orthotic inserts to keep her ankles and shins from turning inward ( that was the worse hearing her cry every night because her shins were turned in and very weak) 
Myself I have many of the conditions that come along with EDS i am only going to name some of them 


IBS
Fibromyalgia

Other ways it affects me is 
muscle weakness 
spontaneous dislocations- I currently have 3 dislocated ribs
and many other ways including my memory hints why i cant think right now (sorry)


or the Ehlers Danlos National Foundation @
 EDNF.org

PLEASE HELP RAISE AWARENESS

No comments:

Post a Comment